Guru Purnima and the Inward Teacher


When I was sitting with my first teacher in 1970, I heard him say the following words. I have never heard this from any other. I honor him so deeply, because he freed me from the need to idolize an external Master, teaching me instead to worship the Guru Tattva, the Guru Principle in my own heart. 
The divine radiance of the Guru inside you is 10 million times more powerful than the Guru before you, sitting on a golden dais in white or saffron robes. Only if that one awakens this one can he really be called a Guru.

I remember the words almost exactly, though I have never seen them written before:

"The need for a personal Guru is fulfilled by the simple practice of this meditation. In deep meditation, the impulse that effortlessly draws the mantra into divine silence, the source of creation, is precisely the same impulse that draws the devotee to the master." ~Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

Have a blessed Guru Purnima. Please overflow into each other.

No comments: