Goal


The ancient goal of mystical mathematics was to circle the square, the enigma portrayed in Leonardo da Vinci's Vesuvian Man.

We circle the square when our mission is to be who we are, and our goal is authentic Presence.

I'm skeptical when I hear people gush about their goals for the New Year. And I'm really not interested when life coaches preach about the importance of goals and vision statements. What's your Three Year Vision Plan? Your Five Year Mission? Your Goal for Eternal Life?

I have no idea. What my needs, my dreams, my concerns will be three years from now, I have no way of telling. I don't even know what tomorrow will bring. When delight dawns, will I even notice it if I'm working on my Five Year Plan?

I am suspicious of goals. Goals separate me from who I am. They detach me from the felt texture of the life I am actually living. When I pursuing my ambition, am I present to you, to my own body, to the ground I walk on?

If goals are so important, what happens when I attain one? In that moment, does any goal remain? If that attainment is the truly important moment, then being goal-less must be the goal, for in that instant the goal dissolves. In that case, I should learn to feel that moment of bliss all the time.

But if that now of goal-attainment is not ultimately important, because the important thing is working toward the goal, then one really doesn't want to achieve any of one's goals: so why pretend to have them?

My goal is to be authentically present, which has nothing to do with time. 

"Time and space are infinite. Grains of sand are countless. Atoms in the universe are innumerable, as are the stars and galaxies. There is neither a beginning nor an end because everything is spherical. A sphere has no beginning or end, no goal or direction. 

"Truth has no direction, no goal. Truth itself is the goal, and truth is infinite. Experiencing infinity within this finite body, living timelessness within this time span, uncovering bliss even in misery: this is what you are here for." 

~Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

No comments: