Many Wicks, One Flame


There is no "do-it-yourself" meditation. "Do it yourself" is a very American concept with no root in the ancient breath of the stars. Meditation is collective. It envelopes the earth, embraces the distant past with forgiveness, and enfolds generations of the unborn.  

A candle cannot light itself. It receives the flame from another. Only then can it burn on its own. A vast grid of energy beyond this small individual bulb empowers the lamp. Only then can it give light.

When I was initiated into meditation, I received the flame of the master's grace, and through him an ancient lineage of masters. I cannot "do" meditation. I can set aside the time and place, every morning and evening. And after meditation, I can express the light through my words and actions, any way I choose. But during that precious meditation time, which is an immersion in eternity, I do nothing. It is a gift of Grace. Many wicks, one flame.

No comments: