A Hymn to Rita Shakti the Server at Shari's Pie Kitchen


Each child    each mother mine    her story 
his story mine    their pilgrim breath is mine   
they cross my borders    I welcome them

All scriptures are mine    their wisdom mine   
their foolish festivals are mine    all rites
of passage lead to my heart

This planet is my body    trees are my lungs   
rivers my veins    deserts my loins   oceans
my longing    my nerves are ancient

Trade routes   every synapse   a tavern   
where strangers meet to share    their fiery
wine   when I breathe out    you breathe

In   I dream your dreams    they are mine   
I hear your prayers they are mine   
the clusters    you leave unharvested    

At the edge of your vineyard feed
my homeless soul    as the ragged edges
of my meadow    feed yours   

My rustle  of shimmering barley  my wind
to help you fall asleep    the rain    my gift    
of weeping in the dark   

Teardrops falling    on lonely creatures
of the fur    who curl in the forest    each
wounded by my claw   

With only my voice    to heal them   
for I too was wounded   and healed
by my own singing

Which is why I chant   this prayer 
over breakfast    at Shari's Restaurant
and Pie Kitchen    where the waitress

Is named Rita    who says just holler
if you need me    I do    I need you Rita   
my night my stars    I share with you   

The radiance of the morning also   
for I am the Sun    let me cover you
with golden warmth    let me enter

Every photon of your flesh    let us respire   
each other    inhale each other    expand
each other    for we include galaxies   

Violent supernovae    stain our emptiness
we are entangled   in some   vast and
stormy placenta     we are born   of the sky   

Naked    primeval    unschooled at last   
our village shaman    a child    we gather
in firelight to remember

the names of our tribe    Earth Circle   
Autumn Wound   Lost Hollow Gourd   
There is only fuel    for tonight    

Tomorrow there will    only be fuel   
for tomorrow     we believe   in nothing    
we believe    in everything    

There is never enough    and always
enough     for we gaze    into each other
and we see   through a single    eye

Yearning for light    yet we are  
not what    we see   we are what sees   
we are    the light of the world




No comments: