I Did Not Come Here To Get Angry


I did not come here
to get angry.
I did not come here
to be sad.
I did not come to carry
the bones of old stories in my skin.
I came to find a forest place,
the glade of moonlight
we only discover
when we're lost,
where animal guides gather
to dance,
and ice crystals sparkle
with the silent echo
of Spring flowers.
I came to fail in every endeavor
where I might have imagined
myself in control.
I came to feel the waves of joy
that swell from the grief ocean.
One chamber of my heart
is empty, the other full.
I came to hover
over the frailest boundary
until it disappears.
My map is the caesura
between breaths
where light hides in darkness
and my lover is waiting
to step from her veil.
There’s a hollow stem
sprouting out of my breastbone,
unfolding jasmine galaxies,
ten thousand petals,
so quietly.


Solstice art by Sue Wookey

No comments: