The Cross Is Not Suffering

Jesus said, 'Take up your cross and follow me.' For two thousand years Christians have interpreted this as a call to suffering. But Jesus never said, 'Take up your cross and suffer.' Jesus never said, 'The cross makes you unhappy.'

We need to hear this saying in the context of another saying: 'My yoke is easy, my burden is light.' Was Jesus confused? Did he ask us to suffer a terrible burden, and then contradict himself? No, he said that grace is sufficient for bearing our cross.

His message is just the opposite of the traditional interpretation. Jesus does not call us to suffer. He reminds us that suffering is optional. It is only the burden of thought that we load on the bearable lightness of this moment.

Let us move through life like a cloud. No matter what burden is given as our special cross, it need not make us unhappy. It is our own mind that adds the weight of unhappiness.

Light and free is the kingdom of heaven within, having nothing to do with outward circumstance.

I can be joyful even as I carry my cross. And I can share this joy with each person I meet, even as they carry their cross too. We do not need to share our crosses, we need to share our joy.

Our crosses may be very different, but we share the same peace.

1 comment:

JDL Knox said...

That is a wonderful interpretation of the concept to carry one's cross. Truly, the source of every problem is in our thoughts, not the thing.

I am interested to hear more about this philo kalia (Greek) that you mention in your video '3 Talismans'.