'Like the Very Heavens'


"And there was under His feet as it were a paved work of sapphire stone, and it was like the very heavans in its clarity." ~Exodus 24:10

Rummaging through my mind, I couldn't find any past, or future, or now. So I concluded that past, present, and future are all a dream. This very inquiry woke me up.

Then I looked at the shining blue sky, and the shining blue sky was looking at me: mirror-like vastness gazing into itself, beginning-less, boundless, ever-expanding.

This infinite gaze into Itself is all there ever is. This gaze vibrates as Love. And this vibrant love-gaze beholds itself in the hollow of every nutrino, every atom of each cell, each breath and flower, each sun in every galaxy.

The very shimmer of consciousness, celebrating its formless ecstasy in the forms of you, me, the fallen leaf, wakes again and again to its own Beauty, which is the substance of all matter and energy, the beginning of creation, and the final goal.

Look into the petal of the last Autumn rose, look into the burst of a supernova, look into the eye of the refugee child who seeks a new home: you will see one invitation to love and fall, to fall in love, fall deeply into who you are...

Merely to awake is why we are here.


No comments: