In the Living Goddess

In the empire of the living Goddess 

there is no "should," no rule to disobey, 

no path to follow. The way is dissolving.

Can the earth leave its orbit round the sun?

So I cannot take my gaze from your face.

This is the freedom of love's bondage.

 

Clouds look like a garland of thorns,

a crown of poppies, yet the sky is always 

formless and blue. Invisible sap 

puts on the glory of a hyacinth,

clear plasma takes the color of blood,

and silence allows herself to be wounded,

pierced by a wordless song.

 

Of course I could endure the Spring

without listening to a single sparrow, 

then boast, "I am liberated from Beauty."

Yet I would rather drown in the blossom

of your eyes, because they chose me

for drowning. We are dead bees

in each others' goblet of raindrops,

slaves of unshackled sweetness.

 

Your emptiness feels like a baby's cheek.

I gladly wear the chains of longing,

just as my Beloved wears this body, 

a dark veil around her breath. 

If you don't understand, 

you have never breathed.

 

Make mischief, drop your burden.

Discipleship is for donkeys and ants.

A Guru is for dumbfounded lovers

who leap like dolphins in waves of night.

No comments: