Pointless Love


Love is not a point of view. Love is pointless.

When I react to another person's narrow point of view, my reaction creates an equally narrow point of view. Now both points sustain each other through their polarization, fed by anger and fear. Equally valid as reactions to one other, they are equally meaningless in relation to the Great Space of love that contains and dissolves all possible points.

Is it possible simply to remain spacious, and listen to the other without contracting? This is precisely what Jesus meant by "loving your enemy" and "praying for those who persecute you." It takes great courage to remain spacious while gazing into the face of hostile self-righteousness. Yet this spaciousness is the Kingdom of Heaven: it saves me from condemning myself to the hell-world of a narrow point. There is no more bitter hell than the narrow little hell of being "right."

Remaining pointless in the center of conflict redeems my "enemy" as well as me, enveloping both self and other in the vast emptiness of compassion. Ultimately, I can "love my neighbor as my self" because I see that we are both breaths of the same space.

Nothing is gained by arguing with an angry person. But real transformation flowers when I enfold the other in the unified field of pure listening.

No comments: