From the Depths

 

When I was a kid, I loved to swim. One of the main reasons I loved to swim was because I could let out my breath in a long rising stream of bubbles as my body sank to the bottom of a blue-green sunlit pool. At bottom, I would lie on my back to feel the silence, the stillness, while people played on the surface far above. The sound and motion of their play did not reach me at all. I simply witnessed.

It's taken me a lifetime to realize why I loved that experience. It was an innocent childhood sacrament of cosmic consciousness.

On the sensate surface of our lives, what plays in time is a shimmer of forms that does not disturb the vast stillness in the depths of our Being. From the depths, Being beholds time, enfolding the outer world with compassion and peace. It is precisely the non-involvement, the inviolable stillness of pure Being, that generates peace for the world above, and provides a calm basis for what happens on the surface. If Being were not completely beyond the realm of becoming, peace would not be possible.

No comments: