Ancient Bow

 

My spine is a wick in the candle of this body. I was created to be lit by a flame. Years ago, naive and foolish, I sat in meditation each morning, each evening. I am still naive and foolish. I still sit in meditation each morning, each evening.

In those days, I needed the blessing and grace of the Guru. Childlike, I felt that the Guru's gentle whisper would free my mind and open my heart. Now I have grown old. Many years have passed. And still, I need the blessing and grace of the Guru, who has become the gentlest whisper in my mind, the golden radiance in my chest.

And still, I bow down. When I bow, I am a ripple in the ancient river of bowing. All who bow completely are one genuflection. It is not a bow of worship, but gratitude, not a bow of bondage, but freedom. My spine is a wick in the candle of this body, created to be lit by a flame.

No comments: