Don't Believe


I don’t believe.
I don't believe in my heart,
yet it keeps beating.
I don’t believe in my hand,
yet it stirs honey into tea
and washes my grandmother's cup.
I don’t believe in the taste
of an heirloom pear
from a tree my father planted,
it is so sweet.
I gristle my fist around his original hoe,
and learn silent bending
from a gracious willow
without believing anything.
I don't believe in the hummingbird
asleep on a lilac twig, head cradled
on her own emerald breast.
Or in the silken cat slipping
through her element of moonbeams.
I don't believe in your eyes,
yet their gaze obliterates
my confusion.
Empty of every belief,
I can listen to the sound
of falling stars in my body,
like snow, God’s breath
brushing the alter of my breastbone.



Ink painting after Zhao Shao'ang, Sparrows in Snow

No comments: