Motherland


In the valley of my backbone
two rivers meet, the Ida and Pingala,
mingling crystal waters of the sun,
emerald waters of the moon.
The gardener is Shakti Magdalena
who comes in the darkest hour,
a temple priestess of the morning star,
to pluck the clusters from entangled
vines of pain and joy. I kiss her
on the lips. This I call breathing.
In her mead-quiet mist, everything
seems motionless, yet dances in
a faint exhalation laden with the glow
of galaxies. Wild flowers lie fallow
as weeds, yet bear inebriating fruit,
fermented on the stem. All that falls
rises as rain, as brackish wetland desire,
as flesh itself, marrow of angels lit
with fire, ringing the angry bell-beautiful
cry of a great disturbed blue heron.
Earth weeps insouciant poppies, still
foggy with a dream of ambiguity.
Who comes veiled in a lapis hijab
at sunrise? My sister the modest sky.
When I pass through the shadows
she takes my hand to guide me
down the soggy creek bed where
the bones of heaven lie strewn
by an ancient flood of grief.
This is how my body is my soul,
how all that falls rises, and wherever
I go, my footprints disappear.
No pilgrim can follow my journey
of surrender. When I am most wisely
lost, I become the motherland
in whom all men must find
their own way.


Art by EsotericaZosimoto

No comments: