Strangers and Pilgrims


“And they confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims
  on the earth.” ~Epistle to the Hebrew, chapter 11

Only through estrangement
and pilgrimage
do we come to know
that we have always
already arrived;
that the journey from our
lost and far-flung star
to the center of the galaxy
is but a trillionth of a hair’s width
sparkling in the neuron
of this thought.
Love asks no image or belief
but merely to dissolve
the myth of distances.
I think we orbit one another.
You find your center in me,
I find mine in you.
And this kaleidoscopic turning
of all through all
is the Great Stillness.
Light that swells the East
and melts the West
is only breath-mist
coming and going
on the mirror-like mind.
I am the glow that floats
about an inch above
your diaphragm.
And when it is soft enough,
your inhalation fathoms
my sky, overflowing
the rim of night.
Through estrangement and
pilgrimage we come to know
that there has never
not been unity.
Do you want to heal the earth?
Massage the chrism
of awareness
into the wounds of God.
Root down in the loam
of the ancestor's body.
Embrace your aloneness,
and you embrace mine.
 
 
'Love Among The Ruins' by Edward Burne Jones

3 comments:

Judith Karen Schwelgien said...

"...Embrace your aloneness and you embrace mine." this poem / very special
`
your voice once clear
now an echo
`
|~ ~

AKL said...

Thank you, your feedback is important to me. I will include the two poems in my new book which I am just now sending to the publisher.

Judith Karen Schwelgien said...

you are welcome / :) ......
blessings be with publishing,
*Strangers and Pilgrims*
`
and beYond````````````