Point


When I lie there dying, or here,

for it is always here that we lie,

or stand, or walk, or die,

I don’t want to realize, My God,

it was the little things, after all!
It wasn’t the party I voted for,

or whether I grokked nonduality,

or what I ate, or didn’t eat.

It had nothing to do with karma,

or which Guru I followed.

It wasn’t about the choice

to become a Christian, or a Muslim.

It was about gazing

into the face of a baby at Rite Aid.

Or the moment I caught and held
the eye of the eighth grader 

behind the dark school bus window,

and saying clearly, without words,
“I know how loneliness feels.

Therefore you are not alone.”

It was about finding the frog

who lived in my umbrella

at the corner of the porch.
The first Autumn rain, when I
opened it, spilling him into my hand.

It was about taking him to the rose pot

and placing him among the withered petals, 

telling him with words, yes words,
“You may live here all Winter.
I will listen for you at midnight.”

It was about the courage to speak with frogs. 

About not minding garden dirt

caked on my knees, not taking

a shower on a Summer night

because I felt so good 

about planting the tomatoes

and wearing pajamas of loam.

It was about sending my friend 

who is dying far younger than I

a link to Allegri’s “Miserere,”
something as easy, as small as that.

It was about pausing on a long walk

to watch the cumulonimbus roil
into a personal face, I won't 

say whose, I'll let you find the Friend,

to whom I whispered, "Thank You," 

then had the courage to admit,

"This is possible, this is natural,

it is not foolish, it requires no believing..." 

When I lie there dying may I dare 

to understand, there are no big things, 

only little ones, all of them somehow 

threaded in a wine-dark mandala,
a wreathe
of heartbeats, growing
fainter,
fainter now, the circle
of moments
when I paid attention,
even
for a breath, growing fainter

yet widening into blue, into the sky
of one eternal heartbeat.

The point of it all.


Photo: Old bench in my yard

No comments: