The Healing Art Of William Blake
I
share this painting by William Blake because it gives life and overflows with
peace. Gaze into it. Go beyond theology, beyond concepts, and sink into the
radiant depths of divine Imagination. Use art for healing.
The painting is of the Death of St. Joseph, husband of Mary. Jesus and
the Holy Spirit (feminine emanation of Jesus) are ministering to this wise,
strong, humble father.
As I study his long prophetic poems, like 'Milton' and 'Jerusalem,' I'm amazed by
Blake's very personal relationship with Jesus, and the child-like innocence of
his faith. He believed that Jesus IS the divine Imagination, whom we can meet
and love in our own creative vision. "Imagination is the divine body of
the Lord Jesus, blessed forever!"
For Blake, Jesus was not a symbol of some higher consciousness, nor a mere
social reformer, but a living Person who dwells at the subtlest level of
feeling and perception in the heart. Jesus is actual energy, the very substance
of the Imagination, in whom we participate, generating the cosmos out of
luminous inspiration.
In 'Jerusalem' (Plate 4), Blake recounts the words that Jesus speaks to him:
"Wake! Expand! I am in you and you in me, mutual in love divine, fibers of
love! .... I'm not a God afar off, I'm a brother and friend. Within your bosom
I reside and you reside in me."

Comments