Free On Earth

The gleam of every smile is refracted through a tear, yet every tear reflects the light of countless suns. This is the mystery of Earth dwelling.

Earth is a plane where energy vibrates midway between heaven and hell, light and darkness, joy and sorrow, where the balance of opposites offers constant opportunities to awaken and choose. Gods wait for aeons to be born here as human beings, for earth is the only plane that offers liberation from the bondage of clinging to one extreme or the other.

Here I walk the razor's edge, free to decide with each breath whether to fill my hearts with love or anger, compassion or despair. Here I participate in the radical revolution, the revolution that happens when I realize that just one person is responsible for my misery, just one person is responsible for my happiness. And my happiness, or my misery, is a drop that flavors the whole ocean of the world.


The crisis of earthly existence forces me to give up waiting for a savior, or blaming a scapegoat. Here on earth, I can't wait. I must choose. This very moment, in the midst of apparent catastrophe, ten thousand acts of kindness are possible. 

My destiny is always Now. Will my heart choose violence or beauty? I taste the berry on my tongue this instant, or never.

No comments: